Pages

Poetry

A few of my favorite poems shall be added daily or weekly depending upon my smurfy mood.

My first poem that I am sharing is my all time favorite poem by my favorite poet.

Song Without Words

I wanted to write you some words you'd remember
words so alert they'd leap from the paper
and crawl up your shoulder and lie by your ears
and be there to comfort you down through the years.
But it was cloudy that day and I was lazy
and so I stayed in bed just thinking about it.

I wanted to write you and tell you that maybe
love songs from lovers are unnecessary.
We are what we feel and writing it down
seems foolish sometimes without vocal sound.
But I spent the day drinking coffe, smoking cigarettes
and looking in the mirror practicing my smile.

I wanted to write you one last, long love song
that said what I feel one final time.
Not comparing your eyes and mouth to the stars
but telling you only how like yourself you are.
But by the time I thought of it, found a pen,
put the pen to ink, the ink to paper, you were gone.

And so this song has no words.

Rod McKuen
Listen to the Warm

4 comments:

That is really nice Emilee!

23 February 2010 at 19:30  

I have read this one before and loved it. Very good Em, he is a good poet.

23 February 2010 at 23:03  

Thanks Jeane and Fi. Fi you should have read it I sent you Listen to the Warm. It's in there.

23 February 2010 at 23:38  

That is where I read it! Hehe

24 February 2010 at 09:54  

Newer Post Older Post Home