Pages

Smurf's Bookshelves







I am a total Book Madame! I love reading and I am also a bibliophile. I am extremely picky about my bookshelves.
First, my bookshelves all match. Second they are in alphabetical order by author. Finally, I have a special bookshelf in my room for my favorite authors and collectable books. This way I know that no one will touch my "special books".

I completely have OCD when it comes to my books. But they completely deserve the special attention that they get.

My favorite all time poet who also has earned extremely special status is Rod McKuen. Amazing american poet who is also a songwriter. He has a wonderful voice and his writing he just puts his whole heart and soul into his songs and poems. Rod wrote several pieces for Frank Sinatra, wrote music for the movie "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie" and even the theme for Charlie Brown. His autobiography, Finding my Father is just amazing.

Ernest Hemingway is one of my all time favorite prose writers. A must read is "Farewell to Arms". And of course "Old Man and the Sea". And I must say that Ernest is very brillant and handsome!

My favorite humourist is Mark Twain. Who couldn't love his satire? "Huckleberry Finn" is my very favorite of his but I also love "Life on the Mississippi". I haven't read all of his work but plan on completing his extensive and amazing prose.

I also adore English writer Ian McEwan. He is great as his books leave you in complete amazement. I really enjoyed "Atonement" but I would say that "On Chesil Beach" and "In the Comfort of Strangers" are my favorite prose work form McEwan.

The greatest fantasy work is "Lord of the Rings" Tolkein has done an amazing job. He is completely brilliant. When it comes to Fantasy I also love Robert Jordan and his Wheel of Time series. In addition absolutely love Brandon Sanderson and the Mistborn Series.

Robert Jordan passed away before the Wheel of Time Series was completed. Jordan's wife picked Brandon Sanderson to complete the series. Wow! Sanderson has done a fabulous job. It is hard for me to be impressed but they both (Jordan and Sanderson) are amazing, descriptive and cleaver writers and they have done a great job. I would highly recommend reading the Wheel of Time Series.

I also love Virginia Woolf, Jane Austen, E.M. Forester, John Irving and Robert Frost. Reading is so statisfing. I just can't read enough!









1 comments:

My shelves are organized according to color. It's the only way I've ever been able to find them, which made me realize what a visual person I am. I've been showing them on Book Rat lately (so far, green, purple and yellow. Orange and red are up next, followed by all the rest as soon as they are clean enough to be presentable)

13 March 2010 at 02:22  

Newer Post Older Post Home